Friday, December 7, 2012

Doc

Important addition to my November list of books I read: Doc by Mary Doria Russell. I don't know HOW I forgot this book (well, I do, actually - I already gave it back to the library) because it was by far the best book I read this month, if not this semester. So I suppose it's fair to give it its own post.

Things I loved about Doc:

  1. As always, Russell (who is an anthropologist) thoroughly researched the background to this book and has produced a stellar historical fiction work.
  2. This book is about Doc Holliday, but this is a completely different Doc Holliday than you've heard about before. First of all, this book ends before he moves to Tombstone, AZ. More importantly, Doc Holliday is a perfect, albeit tragic, Southern gentleman. 
  3. Despite its historical accuracy, this book is fictional telling of Doc's early years. Is the importance of Beethoven's Emperor Sonata factual, or invented? A better question to ask - does it matter? Not at all. This book ends beautifully.
  4. Besides Doc, Russell has created so many rich characters. I was completely in love with Morgan Earp from the moment he was introduced.
  5. Again, as usual for Russell, this book is thought-provoking, introducing many controversial topics, from temperance to prostitution, and presenting a side that readers may not otherwise consider.

Another win from Russell! I can't wait to hear what her sixth book is about.

1 comment:

  1. You make me with I had time to read all of these books!!! One day.... :)

    ReplyDelete