Tuesday, December 4, 2012

May 2011

Books Bought:
  • Crooked House (Agatha Christie)
  • There is a Tide (Agatha Christie)
  • A Prayer for Owen Meany (John Irving)
  • My Name is Asher Lev (Chaim Potok)
  • Dinosaur Planet (Anne McCaffrey)
  • Dune (Frank Herbert)
  • Children of Dune (Frank Herbert)
  • Heart of the Matter (Emily Giffin)
  • Waterland (Graham Swift)
  • I Remember Nothing (Nora Ephron)
  • Snow Falling on Cedars (David Gutterson)
  • The Opposite of Me (Sarah Pekkanen)
  • The Lacuna (Barbara Kingsolver)
  • My Life in France (Julia Child)
  • Dragonwyck (Anya Seton)

Found this in my drafts - first of all, WHY WAS I SPENDING SO MUCH MONEY? Good thing I know for a fact that most of these cost $1.
Second of all, as of December 4, 2012, I have read the Agatha Christies, A Prayer for Owen Meany (which I had already read at the purchasing date; I just can't stop buying that book), Dinosaur Planet, Heart of the Matter, I Remember Nothing, and The Opposite of Me. Clearly, I have a problem. I have a sneaking suspicion that I didn't read any of these in May 2011, either.

From what I remember, Heart of the Matter is great (as Giffin always is), The Opposite of Me was a surprise gem (especially since I have since read the author's other two books, which are not gems), I Remember Nothing was wonderful (again, as Ephron always is). I do remember thinking at the time, man, I hope Nora Ephron doesn't die soon because I LOVE her essay collections and I hope this isn't the last one. Well, it was. RIP Nora Ephron, one of the best and sassiest writers ever. Dinosaur Planet is pure dumb sci-fi greatness and I loved all of it...hello, dinosaurs!! I suspect that McCaffrey loves dinos as much as I do.

Well, that was a fun blast from the past...

1 comment: